Traditions and culture! The sailor shoes is ‘must-have’ for the danish sailor, for somebody just acting as an sailor in high society or the lightweight pratical shoes for the real captain – maybe because of the look or the simple design, I don’t know!?
I’m allready feeling more ready for The Seven Seas!
(Hint, Beewax is very suitable for the soft leather!)
The 29 foot hull is narrow and the original dinette arrangement could only seat two adults comfortably, therefor I have decided to re-arrange the construction to a double bench saloon. In this way no beds in the sailboat will be less than 200 centimeters and that is most welcome. I will lift the v-berth and let the ends of both the benches under it, to spare space in the overall length. This will give enough room to fit the Head and a nice Galley.
Inboard engines are very expencive and the old thrustfull Farymann diesel engine is not so thrustfull anymore. I bought the sailboat knowing that the engine was not in best order. But working in saltwater since 1971, the engine has begun to sip saltwater into the engine.
This Farymann diesel engine stopped production back in year 1984 and the marked is harvested for spareparts. This is a big problem! Getting the engine back in fit conditions was a big and costly proejct. A new engine would cost no less than $12.000 and a total rebuild of the shaft etc., because the first Shipman model only have a 20 milimeter shaft, that won’t fit the modern minimum of 25 milimeter.
Safety first, no old engine I can’t thrust! The old inboard engine must go! This decision got the wheel’s in the project to move again, after a long non productive period.
I wrote a small list of good things the outbord engine would give to the sailboat/project.
Cost ($2.500 vs. $12.000)
Easy and cheap service.
Low sound level in the four stroke engines.
Easy dismount for anti-theft.
New engine = Thrustfull!
Room for large water tank (108 liter)
Better maneuver/handling in habour.
No prop or shaft in the water when sailing by sails.
The storm ‘Freja’ just passed Denmark (7.-8. nov) and almost destroyed the boat! High windpressure tilted the boat of the stands, while moving both sailboat and the whole construction of the stands about 20 centimeter in the front lawn.
The next storm ‘Gorm’ is on the way (29. nov) this will be stronger with winds in hurricane strength. To avoid disaster the boat is now moved from the front lawn and into my driveway, out of the worst wind pressure. Will the boat survive the power of Gorm?
Removing all the old seacock’s and installing new in composite from TruDesign. In this way I rise the level of safety onboard, with no old installations to brake down and let the water in. Composite is, by my oppinion, the best solution.
By removing all the old seacock’s I have a chance to place the new ones in the right positions and ease the new construction of the inside, cabin, galley, head etc. Not to be controlled by the placement of the old seacock’s.
Please take a look on the YouTube video from TruDesign (link below)
Mast step on Cabintop, the Doorway between the saloon and the head/front berth
are the compression post down to the floor support/frame. This was rotten and would have been an insufficient support, due the risk of compression, that might lead into an deflection of the Cabintop!
The Saloon are partly isolated with a layer of Cork, this however is a very bad idea, because cork holds water. The Shroud Chainplates are leaking, both in Port and Starboard side, and soaking the cork isolation. The Chainplates have been leaking for years and totally desolved parts of the cork plates, holding moist and bad smell. Of course the cork has to go…
Resting on the stands in the front lawn, I could finally get a first ‘real’ look inside. I knew she was an old sailboat and the former didn’t had the age and health to attend her the last past years. This of course was shown in the lack of service to the boat and interior – except nice windows and fine cushions below.
First step was to empty the boat completely and 30 year of vacations, holidays and happy times, do fill up a sailboat with lots of things. When finished, I had removed about 600 kilo of books, notes, screws, nuts, bolts, cans, plates, cups, forks etc. A mountain of filled plastik bags raised up in the front lawn.
Early morning I drove to the ‘Lynetten’ harbour to ready the transportation of the sailboat. Together with the former owner we sorted the last things and finished with the payment and a rememberable handshake.
The truck quickly lifted the sailboat out of the past captains hands and into mine. Firmly and
securely placed, the truck started the journey south to insure a swift landing of the sailboat in my front lawn!