Restoring the past!?

IMG_1073Sometimes I have plans, plans in construction of the interior of the boat, but these are not allways the best. One of the first plans I made was to keep the stern starboard berth and construct a new berth in the stern port bench under the cockpit. This was a good plan at the time, however the project ended up with needs for the space in the port cockpit bench.

Unfortunately I removed the hatch long time ago, now I need to rebuild another hatch. Restoring the past so to say…

On the picture you can see the mock-up model being hold in place by two strips of plywood.

[Day#579]

Small step towards wheel steering…

IMG_1071In order to get the plywood construction underneath the cockpit finished, the base for the first step on the cable management for the whell steering needs to be made. This step are made from mahogany and cut in many odd angles, with a bridge to let drainage (water) pass under. The ‘wings’ on the step are made to secure it with fiberglass…

(…and yes, all the plywood construction is removed again!)

[Day#578]

Test of the construction…

IMG_1061Building below the cockpit and the port bench, is very difficult, due to little space and many angles, curves etc. I’ve used large quantities of cardboard, to cut and shape the plywood correct – the first time! This is the intend, but the construction chances in the process and several pieces of plywood are made over again!

I’ve made the compartment for the waste tank (holding tank) below the port bench, with a hatch on top. There are a place for the compressor (refrigerator) and waste hoses, with space enough for several anti-siphon valves. (Vented loop)

IMG_1066The Jabsco toilet are set in the constrution to make sure the toilet lid can open beneath the port bench. The Jabsco marine toilet with regular bowl (large) are to be installed when the head cabin are done.

[Day#577]

Rebuilding the ‘first’ stringers…!?

IMG_1050I the last post you could read and see the latest progress on the head cabin and the stringer that supports the watertank. It was a well done construction, but the angle on the watertank was off, this would have resulted in a large pocket of air in the top side of the watertank. Not good if 5-10 procent of the volume in the tank was lost to nothing!

To lower the angle on the watertank, I needed to construct new stringers and this was taking time! Using cardboard, tape and scissors, I slowly began to build up the new construction. On the pictures you can see the ‘simple’ IMG_1055construction and the stern wall of the head cabin. All the stringers has cut out
acces and the backplate (stern wall) has multiple service accesses. One large service hatch, one medium hatch to install the 3-way toilet fitting (switch between outlet to waste tank or outlet to ocean) and one small hatch to the waste hose and water inlet.

[Day#573]

The beginning of the head cabin!

IMG_1035The time spend on the first stringers and the first elements of head cabin, are slow and difficult, this is to line everything up in the right angles in the hull. These stringers and elements are base to all new interior, so they must be absolute correct!

Note, the toilet are just placed to give an idea of the space in the head cabin. This is the old toilet, the new toilet is turned so the manuel outlet pump is placed on the left (and not on the right side as shown) side on the toilet, giving more room to sit…

[Day#569]

First stringers…

IMG_1034I have made stringers before in the project, but this time they are here to stay! It was a difficult process to sketch up the guide lines inside the hull with a marker, to make absolutely sure the stringer were placed correctly according to both horizontal- and vertical level.

The stringers are made to secure floor support in the head cabin and with storage for the water tank and septic tank.

[Day#567]

Filler to the hull…

IMG_1020In the process to finish the hull where the window were, I was sanding and set the first layer of filler! However I made to much filler, so I sanded down multiple holes from mounts etc, and used the last filler to these.

In a slow but very pleasent process, the sole for the stern wall in the head cabin are constructed…

[Day#565]

Heavy grinding!

IMG_1016In order to get a acceptable finish on the hull, I needed to grind off a heavy layer of hardend fiberglass. This progress broke yet another grinder!?

One last layer of fiberglass was added to the sealed window, in order to give room for a new head cabin, with a small porthole/window.

In the same process I glued a few of the mounting lists/sole for the wall to the head cabin. This will be great!

(The sole for the mounting of the wall are made of 25×50 mm. lists with circular edges made by the router)

[Day#563]

Re-entering the zone of fiberglass?!

IMG_1008Unfinished projects with the harsh fiberglass needs to be done in order to start the construction of the sailboats interior. First thing up is rebuilding the hull were the stern portside window were placed, to fit the base for the head cabin, so I can construct the interior for the sailboats large water tank underneath the cockpit sole.

[Day#559]

Warming up…

IMG_1012This week I’ll start up the DIY sailboat project again, it’s been a long winters break, but now the temperature is reaching for working temperature on the fibre glass work. This is great news and I hope to wash down the hull soon, both outside and inside, to start fresh this year. I’ve begun to draw in my book of ideas and guides for my DIY project, this book is now the holy book of the project!

Storms and bad weather have worn down the tarps on the boat tent, they are now replaced with new and waterproof sides.

[Day#556]